Loving God by Serving People
Loving God by Serving People
““Success is never found. Failure is never fatal. Courage is the only thing.””
In the early 1900’s, several families in the Ropesville community felt a genuine need for a church. Some traveled to Slide or to Lakeview to attend services each week. After much discussion and prayer, a group of fourteen met on Sunday, April 10, 1921 to form First Baptist Church of Ropesville, Texas. Charter members were:
O. A. Heath
H. H. Timmons
Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Evans
Burnice Evans
Mr. and Mrs. C.R. Teague
Weldon Teague
Wilsa Teague
Maggie Ater
Clara Branch
Ora Lee Dopson
Effie Dopson
Nona Hand
In those beginning years, the Baptist Church met in the school building on the second and fourth Sundays, while the Methodists used the same building on the first and third Sundays. The school structure that was used was a three-story building with a basement. This building no longer exists, but now provides the school playground area.
Brother O. P. Morrison was the first pastor. The mission board had to assist the church with meeting this obligation initially. A special offering was taken to fund Brother Morrison’s trip to Dallas for the Southern Baptist Convention.
The first revival was held in July, 1921, with Brother T.B. Sowell serving as the evangelist. During these revival services, there were twenty-one people saved and baptized and six others who joined by letter. In 1923, Brother Sowell became pastor of the church.
The first deacons were ordained on January 29, 1922. They were Roy Dopson, Lee Cowan, Pierson Couch, Burnice Evans, and Sam Moore.
On March 7, 1923, a committee was elected to find property on which to build a church. The first wooden church building was erected in 1924 on part of the current property. It lovingly became known as “the little white church”. It was a long, one-room structure. Sunday classrooms were divided by using burlap curtains that were pulled across the room on wires.
On January 25, 1924, a Ropesville school teacher became the new pastor, Brother A. A. Brian. He was ordained on January 11, 1925 by the church.
The first Sunday School was held in “the little white church” on January 4, 1925.
A few years later, five adjoining lots were purchased for $50 each from the Wilhelms. A house was purchased from Sam Darby on November 29, 1936 for $350 and was moved to the church property. It cost $40 to move the house that would be remodeled and added on to for the first parsonage. The house was completed and dedicated in March of 1943.
On July 2, 1944, nine more adjoining lots were purchased for a total cost of $250.
In February of 1948, the church had grown to a point where a new, larger building was necessary. The congregation began meeting at the school again so “the little white church” could be demolished and the new building built. The Methodists happened to be in a building program at the same time and shared services with the Baptists at the school. Each group held their separate Sunday School classes, but they shared the worship service.
In May of 1948, the money was borrowed to begin the new building. The building had a basement with windows at ground level and a one-story structure on top. The entrance was distinctive with a long, wide staircase to the doorway of the new sanctuary. There was also a balcony in the new building that became a favorite seating area for the youth of the church.
The first service was held in this new building on June 13, 1948. This special day included lunch at the church. The exterior brick and other finishing touches continued through the rest of the year.
On December 12, 1948, with all the work completed, the church planned a homecoming and dedication service. There were over 300 in attendance. The men of the church barbecued a whole calf and the ladies prepared all the side dishes for lunch for this big event.
In March of 1950, the pastor, G.W. Morrison, drew up plans for a new parsonage. The church accepted his plans and a new home was built.
As the church continued to be blessed and grow, the need for more classroom space was apparent. A groundbreaking service was held on February 13, 1955 for new education space. In 1956, new furniture was purchased for the education space and on January 31, 1960, the total indebtedness for this building project was paid in full.
On March 24, 1963, a ground-breaking service was held to announce the planned construction of a new sanctuary. The congregation was able to eagerly watch the progress each week of their new building as they continued to meet in the old building.
The first service was held in the new sanctuary in February, 1964. Once the new sanctuary was completed, renovations were made to the church office, Pastor’s study, library, kitchen, and parlor to compliment the new worship facilities. The beauty of the building, the layout, the color scheme, the stained glass have all added to the ambience of a special place to meet and worship each service. This sanctuary continues to be the house of the Lord and provides a glorious location to meet and greet friends and loved ones, to share in the joys of marriage and hurts of death, to sing and praise, to pray and worship, and to give honor and glory to the Lord for His marvelous blessings of the past ninety years.
In March of 1974, construction on a new parsonage was started. By the end of 1974, Pastor Murle Rogers and his wife moved into the three-bedroom, two bath home that was built. Much care was put into the building of this home and it still provides a lovely, cozy dwelling for the current pastor and his family.
WHEN THINGS GOT STARTED
In 1921, business meetings were held every time the church met together to discuss the organizational plans and future of the church. In the 1950s, the church voted to just have a monthly business meeting.
January of 1925 was the beginning of Sunday School classes.
Training Union began in 1928.
Cradle Roll was started in September of 1929.
The first Vacation Bible School was held in June, 1936.
Initially, baptisms were held in dirt tanks in the community. At times, the baptistry at First Baptist Church, Lubbock was used.
The first telephones were installed in the church office and parsonage on December 17, 1947.
Missions have been a vital part of the church history since the beginning. The Black and Hispanic missions were sponsored, along with special offerings for the Cooperative Program, Annie Armstrong Easter Offering, Lottie Moon Christmas Offering, and the Mary Hill Davis Offering for state missions. Currently, the church also supports the South Plains College Baptist Student Ministry and the Plains Baptist Assembly.
On April 10, 1960, the church had a record high attendance of 303 in Sunday School. What a way to celebrate on the church’s 39thanniversary!
God has always had a plan and purpose for First Baptist, Ropesville. His plan and purpose still continue as the church reaches out to minister to her members and the community. And those arms of love continue to reach out beyond our own limits. God is using the church to make a difference in lives everywhere.
PASTORS OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH,
O. P. Morrison 1921-1923
T. B. Sowell 1923-1925
A. A. Brian 1925-1926
J. T. Clinton 1926-1927
Brother McGahey 1927-1928
A. A. Brian 1928-1930
J. P. McBeth 1930-1934
Weaver E. Lovelace 1934-1937
W. P. Brian 1937-1938
W. O. Wilson 1938-1941
R. T. Barton 1941-1943
H. W. Hitt 1943-1945
Thomas P. Cobb 1945-1947
V. W. Allen May, 1947-1950
G. W. Morrison 1950-1951
Lewis Cass 1951-1953
John H. Johns 1953-1956
John F. Cole 1956-1960
Wayne O. Perry 1960-1965
Phillip Goodrum 1965-1969
Bill Curry 1969-1973
Murle Rogers 1973-1978
J. V. Cohorn 1978-1980
Greg Deering 1980-1985
Gene Meacham 1985-1989
Mark McMillan 1989-1992
Greg Kinch 1993-1998
Kevin Hindman 1999-2000
Chris Powell 2002-2005
Kyle Morton 2006-2010
Jimmy Allen 2010-2015
Donovan Martin 2016-Present